SSRS Barcode Font Integration and Generation
- Reporting Services barcode fonts integration and barcodes generation
- Compatible with MS SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services and Visual Studio 2003 and up version
- Generate barcodes in SSRS by using KeepAutomation's barcode fonts
- Create barcode in SSRS with the use of .NET Report Function Custom Assembly file
- Free to use SSRS barcode font encoder for barcode generation in reporting services
- Support common barcode standards like UPC, EAN, Code 39, Code 128, GS1-128, Interleaved, RM4SCC, USPS Intelligent Mail and etc. 2D barcode fonts and many more
- Reporting Services barcode CRI control is available for generating barcodes on SSRS reports
Reporting Services Barcode Font Integration & Generation
The following tutorial shows how to integrate barcode fonts into a SSRS report and generate barcodes. In this tutorial, the .NET Report Function Custom Assembly file is used to format the encoded data to string for the barcode fonts from KeepAutomation.
- Installed Visual Studio .NET 2003
- Access to a SQL Server 2000 SP 3a database. The Northwind database will be used in this guide
- Installed Reporting Services
- .NET barcode custom assembly and KA.FontReportFunctions.dll from KeepAutomation
Barcode integration in SSRS Reporting Services
- Download the barcode fonts from KeepAutomation and install the barcode fonts on the printers, servers or computers where the barcode will be applied. For barcode type font selection, please refer to the barcode fonts. Here we use Code 3 of 9 barcode font.
- Download the Reporting Services Custom Assembly from KeepAutomation, KA.FontReportFunctions.dll within it, and unzip it to your machine.
- Copy and paste the .NET barcode custom assembly to the Report Designer folder, C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Report Designer.
- Copy and paste the .NET barcode custom assembly to the Report Server directory for deployment, C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin
Create a report in SSRS to insert the barcodes
- Open the Visual Studio .NET (VS.NET) IDE, click File | New | Project, select the Business Intelligence Projects and then click Report Project Wizard
- Give a name to the sample report and click OK. Choose Project Type in the Visual Studio.NET IDE.
- Choose a New Data Source and confirm that the connection string can connect to the Northwind database.
- Use the Query Builder to create the query string for generating the report
- Right click the upper pane in the query builder and select Add Table to add the Product table.
- Drag the ProductID, CompanyName, and ContactInfo fields into the query. Click OK.
- Click Next on the Design Query Wizard. And select the report type as Matrix to create and click Next.
- Leave the default values to the report group and click Next. And choose the table style and click Next.
- Choose the Report Server and the folder for the report deployment and click Next.
- Give a name to the report as Barcode Product ID and click Finish.
- Right click the last column in the table and add the encoded data field to the report.
- Select Insert Column to the right. And Label the column as Barcode ID.
- Insert a Barcode ID Column into Microsoft Reporting Services.
Barcode generation in SSRS Reporting Services
- Activate the report by clicking on the report body and add the KA.FontReportFunctions.dll to the report.
- Choose the class name containing the barcode font data encode functions. And click OK. The encoding functions are now available for use in the report.
- The encoding functions are added as expressions to the appropriate field. Right click the empty area below the Barcode ID field and select Expressions.
- Click the Preview tab to ensure that the function is returning data.
- Click the Layout tab and apply the Code 39 fonts to the field with the expression.
- Choose Click Build | Deploy Solution to deploy the barcode solution to the Report Server.